Wednesday 15 October 2008

So, where have you been?

I know, it's been a few days, a week? 3 Weeks?! Wow, time flies when your computer is dying! This laptop is old, buttons are missing, it is sticky and the screen is covered in goodness knows what. Yes, children. Why anyone wants nice new things, and for them to stay nice and new, when they have children makes me laugh so hard I may wet my pants.

I also laugh when I see parents stressing over their child staying clean, not getting into anything, and heaven forbid trapsing dirt in the house!
If you like things clean, spotless, neat and to stay where it is put, think very long and hard before having children. Also, if the thought of touching wee or poo every day for the next few years wakes you dry vomit, definitely do not have children.

It would help our world if people told the truth about raising children. I am talking about divulging the not so great parts of 24/7 with a little treasure, not just all the cutsie stuff like the first word, first step, those cute sounds they make as they smile and laugh at you.
I am talking about the poo, wee, pinching, kicking, biting, poo, wee, falling over, crying, tantrums, melt downs, breaking things, hiding things like the remote and your keys, drawing on anything and everything, running up and down the hallway with your lipstick or mascara of course this last one is done after they have drawn all over themselves with lipstick or mascara. Mud, dirt and sand through the house, tipping over or squirting out all the powder, washing liquid, sugar, flour, pretty much everything in the pantry that you thought was safe until your child found a way to get it by dragging a chair across to open it, or in the case of more than one child, using team work to get into things together.

I am not saying all these 'happenings' are bad, or to focus on them. I want parents and parents to be to understand they are all a normal part of raising children. Some things can melt your heart, others make you want to gauge your eyes out with a melon baller. Try to relax and not stress too much about it when things don't go so great. Your child or children are learning. The world is new to them and they are curious.

So, for now, please excuse me while I wipe all the toothpaste off the bathroom walls, tiles and mirror.

No comments: